If we tell you that superhumans even exist outside comic books, would you believe us? If you don’t, then this post is going to change your opinion.
Have you heard about Wim Hof? The feats that he has performed throughout his life will make you believe that Hof is undoubtedly a superhuman. Wim Hof is an extreme athlete from Holland. He has earned the alias ‘The Iceman’ owing to his capability to survive in sub-zero temperatures. He does so by regulating his body temperature.
By performing feats that require one to survive in extreme weather conditions Wim Hof has set up 20 Guinness World Records. From running a marathon above the arctic circle barefoot to climbing Everest wearing shorts, this man has gone beyond his physical and mental limitations.
Now, you might be wondering how Wim Hof prepares himself to perform such feats with ease. Well, this post is going to answer that question for you. Here, we will be discussing Wim Hof’s workout routine that transformed him from being a regular guy who struggled with depression to a superhuman who inspires people all over the world.
What Will I Learn?
Wim Hof Workout Routine
Well, to perform the feats of a superhuman, you will have to follow the workout routine of a superhuman as well. Wim Hof’s workout routine might look simple but it is not an easy one.
Wim Hof’s training routine does not consist of lifting weights and running on treadmills. It primarily involves stretching, power breathing, cold showers, and meditation. A unique amalgamation of all these transformed his body to a point where it can feel immensely comfortable even in sub-zero temperatures.
Now let’s have a detailed overview of the key elements of Wim Hof’s workout routine.
Wake Up and Stretch
Stretching is a crucial part of the Wim Hof Method. It relaxes up your muscles and keeps your body flexible. For stretching purposes, Wim Hof relies on practicing certain yoga movements.
He performs child’s pose, forward and backbends, planks, and bicycle crunches.
Wim Hof also claims that stretching aids in strengthening the mind-body connection.
The main secret behind Wim Hof’s ability to endure freezing temperatures lies in his power breathing exercise routine. He claims that power breathing helps him in raising his natural body temperature to withstand the chilling environment.
Power Breathing involves holding your breath for prolonged periods. It is then cycled with periods of deep and exaggerated inhalation. We will discuss this in detail very soon.
Researchers swear by the effectiveness of cold showers when it comes to improving blood circulation and boosting the immune system. Most of us are not very used to taking cold showers. Our psychological barrier is responsible for that.
However, cold showers, when taken regularly, have shown profound impacts on boosting one’s willpower, perseverance, and overall body temperature.
Mental strength and fortitude play a crucial role when it comes to dipping in freezing temperatures. Meditation works on those aspects and hence it is an important part of the WHM.
Through meditation and breathing exercises, Wim Hof makes his body capable to supersede its physical limitations and perform jaw-dropping feats. He utilizes his mental energy stores to feel comfortable with cold temperatures.
What is the Wim Hof Method?
The Wim Hof Method (WHM) is a breathing technique. It is based on Tibetan Tum-mo meditation and has been developed by Wim Hof. Wim Hof has used this method to supersede his physical limitations which have enabled him to set up many world records.
The three primary elements of the Wim Hof Method are breathing, cold therapy, and commitment. The combination of these elements allows oneself to establish control of the nervous system. It also deactivates the flight-or-fight response.
We are sure you must be excited enough to try out the Wim Hof Method on yourself. Isn’t it? The following steps will guide you through it. Let’s get started.
- Start with either sitting or lying down in a comfortable position. Get your body relaxed.
- Then take deep inhales through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Keep on repeating this for 30 minutes without taking any breaks in between.
- After finishing the 30th exhale, hold your breath for 60 seconds. Be mindful, focus on your heartbeats and feel your body getting relaxed.
- Now, take a deep breath in and hold it for 15 seconds.
- Once again, repeat the second step.
- After finishing the 30th exhale, this time hold your breath for 90 seconds. Be mindful and focus on the present moment.
- Again take a deep breath in and hold it for 15 seconds.
- Then, once again repeat the second step followed by the sixth step.
- Now, take a deep breath in and hold it for 15 seconds.
- Finally, keeping your eyes closed, start meditating. Do it for at least 5 minutes. Focus on your breathing and try to block any kind of disturbing thoughts and sounds. Initially, you would find it challenging but with practice, you would be able to do that with ease.
And that’s how you practice the Wim Hof Method. It will surely revolutionize your mental and physical health.
“Your fitness is 100% mental! Your body won’t go where your mind doesn’t push it!”
In a nutshell, it can be said that WHM helps us to get reconnected to ourselves, to others, and nature.
You can avail the benefits of the Wim Hof Method on both physical and mental levels. WHM has a myriad of benefits that can completely bring a revolution in your lifestyle and your overall physical and mental well-being. Let’s have a look at some of the benefits that WHM can offer you:-
- Boosting your immune system: Our immune system is responsible for protecting our bodies from various kinds of diseases. It acts as a defense mechanism for our bodies. Numerous researches have been carried out in which it has been found that practicing WHM can strengthen your immune system.
- Better sleep: In the current scenario, you may come across people who struggle to get a sound sleep. The cases of insomnia have substantially risen in the last few years. Being deprived of sleep has adverse impacts on our overall mental and physical performance. Practicing the Wim Hof Method has positively contributed towards improving the sleep quality of many people.
- Improved Athletic Performance: You would be surprised to know that both amateur and professional athletes around the globe are incorporating the Wim Hof Method in their exercise routine to boost their overall athletic performance. They have seen considerable improvements in their muscular endurance and cardiovascular health. The Wim Hof Method also helps in reducing muscle soreness and inflammation which translates into faster workout recovery.
- Boosting your energy levels: Stress has become an undetachable part of our lives. With increased stress, the levels of our mental and physical energy tend to get down. However, the practice of WHM has shown considerable effects on reducing the overall stress on one hand and boosting up the energy levels on the other hand.
- Increased Willpower: Willpower plays a prominent role in making us do the things we often find ourselves incompetent for. Increased willpower aids us to make better life choices and live a more fulfilling life. The element of conscious breathing and cold therapy in the Wim Hof Method increase the willpower of practitioners which further helps in improving the quality of their lives.
- Better Mind-Body Connection: When a person’s mind and body work in synchronization, he/she starts enjoying life like never before. Practicing the Wim Hof Method will establish a better mind-body connection. WHM incorporates activities like breathing exercises, exposure to cold, meditation, etc. to facilitate better mind-body connection.
- Increased happiness: Who doesn’t want to be happy? But the element of stress in our life often obstructs our way of happiness. The activities performed while following the Wim Hof Method work on improving your mental health which has a direct impact on increasing your happiness.
Trying out Wim Hof’s workout plan can surely allow you to push the boundaries of your physical and mental limitations.
If you think that trying out Wim Hof‘s workout plan would be too much for you, just remember his words. He says,
“What I am capable of, everyone can learn.”
So you too can try it out and see how it works for you. It will surely bring out your newer self.