Lonzo Ball is a pro basketball player who plays for the Chicago Bulls in the NBA league. Even though he is quite young, he has been pretty successful in carving a niche for himself in the sport.
Lonzo plays as the shooting guard and we must say that he indeed has impressive skills. He got started with training at just the age of 4 years under the guidance of his father LaVar Ball.
Even today, Lonzo trains with great dedication and strives to take his playing skills to newer heights. He has worked his butt off to secure his position in the team and seems to leave no stone unturned in being a phenomenal athlete.
This post is going to be about Lonzo Ball’s workout routine and diet plan. Stay with us as we give you a detailed insight into his fitness regime.
You may or may not be an athlete, but we are sure that you will be learning a lot from this post.
Let’s get started.
Lonzo Ball’s Workout Routine
Lonzo stands tall at a towering 6 feet 5 inches and weighs around 86-88 Kg. He has spent countless hours in the gym to perfect his phenomenal game-playing skills.
A training video of him got pretty viral where he was seen practicing his passing skills standing on one leg on a stability ball.
Now you must have got an idea about the dedication with which Lonzo trains.
Lonzo Ball’s workout routine is segmented into a variety of different training styles. All of them collectively contribute towards optimising his overall athletic capabilities. And that pretty much gets exhibited when he is on the basketball court.
Now, let’s delve into the training styles Lonzo relies on to sustain his elite fitness and athleticism.
While these exercises may not be identical to Lonzo’s routine, they are commonly found in the training regimens of elite basketball players worldwide.
Let’s explore them.
Dynamic Warm-Up Circuit
- High skips
- Quad stretch with lean
- Walking hamstring stretches
- Hip flexor stretch
- Adductor stretch
- Frankenstein kicks
Lonzo performs the above-mentioned exercises in a circuit and does 2 rounds of them.
- High skip to a deep squat
- Quick line into stick
Lonzo performs 2 rounds of the above-mentioned exercises.
Core Activation and Full Body Stability Work
- Eurostep stability drills- 4 sets of 4-6 reps
- DaVinci plank- 3 sets of 30 seconds on each side
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Weighted jumps- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Rear-foot elevated split squats- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- One-arm dumbbell press- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Inverted rows- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Samson stretch- 8-12 reps
- Active hamstring stretch- 8-12 reps
- Kneeling ankle mobility- 8-12 reps
- 90-90 get-ups- 8-12 reps
Strength and Conditioning Work
Lonzo performs strength and conditioning work 4 days a week. It is targeted towards maintaining up his muscle mass and building up his explosive strength.
Lonzo’s strength training routine primarily includes compound exercises. This is because their execution involves different muscle groups and they also work towards enhancing power output.
Now let’s have a look at the exercises that Lonzo relies on in his strength and conditioning-oriented workout routine:-
- Push-ups- 4 sets of AMRAP
- Chin-ups- 4 sets of AMRAP
- Deadlifts- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Barbell bench press- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Lat pulldowns- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Incline dumbbell press- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Renegade rows- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Pec-deck flys- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Snatch- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Barbell clean and jerk- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Dumbbell shoulder press- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Lateral raises- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Bent-over flys- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Dumbbell shrugs- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Barbell back squats- 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Squats to press- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Romanian deadlifts- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Leg press- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Walking lunges- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Leg extensions- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Farmers walk- 3 sets of 22 yards
- Conventional deadlifts- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell curls- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Close grip bench press- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Hammer curls- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Skull crushers- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Hyperextensions- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Hip thrusters- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Calf raises- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
When it comes to lifting weights, Lonzo chooses to go with light-moderate weights. Light-moderate weights allow him to establish a better mind-muscle connection and also prevent his joints from getting subjected to excessive stress.
Lonzo Ball’s Diet Plan
Lonzo understands the fact pretty well that if he has to perform like a world-class athlete, he will also have to feed his body like one. And for that reason, he follows a nutritious diet plan.
But at the same time, Lonzo is a foodie. He loves to munch on fast foods and junk foods. All thanks to his cheetah-like metabolism allows him to indulge without compromising his fitness levels..
It certainly doesn’t mean that he can get away with eating anything. Even though he loves eating junk foods, he ensures to consume them in moderation. He also makes it a point to sweat it out in the gym to burn off all the excess calories.
Taking Lonzo’s fitness levels into consideration, we assume that he must be having 4-5 meals a day. Lonzo Ball’s meal plan must be like the following:-
Meal 1- Breakfast
- Avocado toast
Meal 2- Mid Morning Snack
- Protein smoothie
Meal 3- Lunch
Meal 4- Dinner
Lonzo prioritizes staying hydrated by consuming ample water throughout the day. This habit not only keeps his body well-hydrated but also aids in the removal of toxins from his system.
Lonzo Ball’s Supplements
Lonzo has never thrown any light on the supplements that he uses. But if you want to get as fit as him, you can certainly include a few supplements in your nutrition plan.
You may choose to go with the following:-
- Whey protein
A whey protein supplement fuels the body with essential amino acids. Its consumption assists in facilitating post-workout recovery.
A multivitamin supplement on the other hand provide a convenient way to fill potential nutrient gaps in one’s diet.
By now, you’ve gained valuable insights into Lonzo Ball’s workout routine and diet plan. And if you structure your fitness regime around it, you too can take your levels of fitness to newer heights.
But at the same time, you must understand that Lonzo has been training for decades. So achieving a similar level of fitness requires patience.
Consistency in following your fitness regimen and allowing your body the necessary time for transformation are key factors in reaching your fittest version.