Whenever we look at popular bodybuilders and their buff bodies, it often makes us wonder, “What does he eat to have a physique like that?”
Alongside exercise, nutrition plays a very important role in bodybuilding. One cannot separate nutrition from training as both of them work hand in hand with one another. No matter what your fitness goals are- gaining lean body muscles, shedding stubborn fat, or whatever, your diet plays an important determining role.
Lee Haney, the former IFBB professional bodybuilder, sports an amazing sculpted body. The American bodybuilder has also been titled Mr. Olympia eight times.
However, there is a lot of hard work that goes behind that sculpted figure. Lee Haney is also quite strict with the diet that he is following. If you are wondering where to begin, this article will give you a thorough idea about Lee Haney’s diet plan so that you know where to kickstart your bodybuilding preparation from.
Lee Haney’s Diet Plan
Since nutrition plays a key factor in determining the level of progress that you are making in your bodybuilding journey, it is important to choose your diet right. If you are unsure about where to begin, have a sneak peek into the Lee Haney meal plan. His nutrition plan will give you an idea about how to frame your meal plan so that you can kickstart your fitness journey like a pro:
Lee Haney Meal Plan
Almonds, Nuts, Oatmeal, Fruits, Eggs
Rice, Lentils, Chicken
Milk, Eggs, Fruits, Protein smoothie
Sweet Potato, Spinach, Rice
Fruits, Eggs, Protein Shake
Rice, Vegetables, Chicken Breast, Salad
This Lee Haney’s diet plan should be enough to give you a headstart.
Lots and Lots of Calories
Lee Haney makes it a point to consume ample quantities of calories, as they aid in the quick growth of muscles. However, make sure you steer clear of junk food and derive the calories that your body requires from healthy food sources.
A Low-key Diet
Lee Haney makes it a point not to add over the head food items in his diet. He keeps his diet pretty simple and adheres to basic food items such as fish, chicken, beans, fruits, eggs, whole grains, green vegetables, etc. He also remains hydrated to ensure that his muscles stay energized.
Eggs for Better Muscle Growth
Haney adds a lot of whole eggs to his diet. Hence, as long as you are not trying to get rid of the unnecessary fat in your body, you can always resort to eggs. Eggs help in the quick and better growth of muscles.
Nuts for Healthy Fat
Fat is important for bodybuilding as it facilitates the easy flow of blood and the proper beating of the heart. Fat also keeps the hair and skin healthy. Lee Haney derives the fat required for his body from nuts and adds them in adequate quantities in his diet.
Consistent Water Intake
The importance of water to facilitate the smooth functioning of muscles cannot be overemphasized. Water keeps one hydrated throughout the exercise session and energizes the muscles to perform heavier tasks.
Lee Haney Workout Routine
Greg Plitt Diet Plan
Jack LaLanne Diet Plan
Sadik Hadzovic Diet Plan
Randy Orton Diet Plan
What Did Lee Haney Eat?
Lee Haney stressed the ideology, “You can’t train like a horse and eat like a bird.” Lee Haney is very particular about the nutrition that he derives out of his diet. He made sure that he consumed a balanced diet so that each nutrient could act on his body.
Here are a few foods that helped Lee Haney maintain his figure and sail through his bodybuilding competitions:
- Protein-rich foods: protein powder, lentils, eggs, fish, chicken.
- Low glycemic carbs: oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potato, lentils, quinoa.
- Fruits: pineapple, apple, papaya, pear.
- Fiber: kale, cabbage, greens, beans.
- Fats: nuts, mostly almonds, and walnuts.
During his competition days, Lee Haney had to consume nearly 6 meals a day to aid proper growth of muscles. He also ate a lot of whole eggs as they trigger the growth of lean body muscles.
He also emphasized the importance of staying hydrated. Water helps to replenish and energize the muscles and prepare them for heavier and more strenuous activities.
What to Avoid
When you are into fitness training and bodybuilding, you need to be careful about what you are piling on your plate. Here are a few food items that might hinder your progress and are, therefore, best if omitted from your diet chart:
- Junk food
- Empty-calorie food
- Processed carbs
- Refined sugar
- Artificial ingredients
- Fried food
Lee Haney’s Supplements
Despite consuming a proper and balanced diet, your body might still be left with some nutritional gaps. To compensate for the gaps, Lee Haney, like every other bodybuilder, resorted to a number of supplements that have been beneficial to his body in a number of ways:
- Immune support supplement: Lee Haney takes an immune support supplement that is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Elderberry, and Zinc. Vitamin C helps to fight the symptoms of cough and cold. Vitamin D aids in maintaining the level of phosphorus and calcium in the body. It also safeguards against infection in the respiratory tract. Similarly, Zinc also helps to ease the symptoms of nasal congestion, cough, sore throat, and nasal drainage.
- Protein powder: Alongside consuming a protein-rich diet, protein powder supplements are also an essential part of Lee Haney’s diet. Protein contains amino acids, which aid in muscle growth.
- Detox supplement: Lee Haney likes to cleanse the toxins off his body. Consuming foods that are rich in protein may sometimes be hard on your kidney, liver, and colon. Therefore, it is important to detoxify the body. Lee Haney’s detox supplement contains a formula that aids weight loss and gives your body a great shape.
- Multivitamin: Vitamins and minerals are highly essential for the body. Lee Haney, alongside his proper diet, prefers the intake of a multivitamin supplement so that all the body’s requirements could be met.
- Age management: Lee Haney also makes an attempt to delay the signs of aging. His age management supplement consists of Omega-3, Vitamin D, resveratrol, and other vitamins and minerals that help to curb the signs of aging.
- Fat burner: Fat burner supplements help you get rid of the stubborn fat in your body. Fat burners give you a gush of instantaneous energy and preserve your lean muscles. These supplements also increase your metabolism and suppress your appetite, thereby keeping unhealthy cravings at bay!
David Laid Diet Plan
Steve Cook Diet Plan
Greg Doucette Diet Plan
Chris Bumstead Diet Plan
Sergi Constance Diet Plan
The Bottom Line
Hope this gives you an idea about the secret behind Lee Haney’s pumped-up muscles. If you are aiming for that body and unsure if you are eating right, this Lee Haney’s diet should give you a fair idea about where to begin.