The Jonnie Candito 6 Week Powerlifting Program holds a prime spot when it comes to powerlifting peaking programs. This program is further split into distinct segments aimed at manipulating the intensity, volume, focus, and complexity of the training period, which extends for up to 6 weeks under this program.
What Will I Learn?
Jonnie Candito’s 6 Week Powerlifting Program is basically a peaking program for the powerlifters. Its training protocol involves several short training blocks. These training blocks are targeted towards promoting muscular conditioning, hypertrophy, linear weight increases, heavyweight training, intense strength training, and deload/testing. This program certainly improves the weights lifted on the competition lifts but it primarily holds high regard for its capability to increase the weight lifted on one rep max of the squat.
So if you are willing to improve the weights of your 1 RM on squats, this program can surely serve you in the best of your interests. If you follow this program sincerely along with keeping your diet and rest periods on point, you can expect to see gains around 5-10 lbs per every 5 weeks. Even when it comes to improving your deadlifts, the Jonnie Candito 6 Week Program will work pretty well for you. There are some lifters who claim that this program does not increase your bench press to an extent that can match with the gains you experience on the squats and deadlifts. However, those claims are just individual experiences of some lifters. They may certainly not be true for you.
Jonnie Candito 6 Week Powerlifting Program Spreadsheet
The spreadsheet presented over here provides you an apt idea about the practical application of the Jonnie Candito 6 Week Powerlifting Program. This Google sheet not only mentions the exercises that you will be performing but also lets you know about their prescribed number of sets and reps so that you can receive optimal gains from your training.
The in-built calculator lets you know about the percentages and proportions of weight that you should be progressing with over a period of 6 weeks. These calculations are based on your 1 RM of squat, deadlift, and bench press. Hence, you need to determine in advance your current 1 RM on these lifts.
This spreadsheet also gives you an idea about the accessory exercises that you may perform after you finish performing the main lifts of the program. You can also choose which unit of weight (Kg or lbs) you are comfortable progressing with. This template will let you know about the weights in the same unit as you selected.
While following this program there are some other important points that you need to follow so that you get the optimal results. Those points are mentioned in the following section.
- Performing accessory lifts while following this program is not mandatory. If you have sufficient energy left after completing the main workout, only then choose to perform them. Accessory workouts are optional.
- While performing the accessory lifts you would be choosing a weight that lets you perform your sets in the range of 8-12 reps.
- Your accessory work must exhibit a relatively lower impact. This is needed so that your recovery doesn’t get hampered.
- The accessory exercises should be isolation movements that target a single muscle group at a time like barbell curls or tricep pushdowns.
- You can alter the accessory exercises based on your muscle weaknesses.
- You can introduce little variations to the accessory exercises.
- Progression on accessory lifts is not needed.
- The upper body optional accessory exercises may include incline chest fly, lateral dumbbell raises, skull crushers, preacher curls, bicep cable curls, etc.
- The lower body optional accessory exercises may include single-leg press, single leg curl, leg extensions, calf raises on leg press, barbell hip thrusts, etc.
- You can also choose to perform some explosive lower body exercises like box jumps, power cleans, medicine ball throws, jump squats, etc. Don’t exceed 4 reps/set while performing the explosive exercises.
Jonnie Candito 6 Week Powerlifting Program will surely provide the results that you are working for.