Joseph Sergo, popularly known as Joey Swoll, is a full-time bodybuilder and fitness model admired for his insane physical development. He has a massive fan base on his social media handles and is often regarded as a new force in the current fitness industry.
Joey has been on the cover page of numerous fitness magazines owing to his perfectly-developed body.
So let’s find out what goes into Joey Swoll’s workout routine and diet plan that has been the secret behind his fantastic physique and insane fitness levels.
Joey Swoll’s Workout Principles
Joey Swoll’s workout plan primarily revolves around lifting weights to build up muscle mass and performing cardio to burn off excess fat. It is targeted towards giving him a physique that appears huge, muscular, and aesthetic as well.
- Being quite experienced with lifting, Joey usually trains as per his instincts. That means instead of following a set exercise routine, he trains in accordance with the way he is feeling or with the objective of bringing up a lagging muscle group.
The prime goal of Joey’s training program has always been to build a muscular, symmetrical, and proportionate physique.
Joey Swoll’s Workout Routine
By looking at Joey’s monstrous muscle mass, anyone can get a clear idea that this man must have been lifting for a long time. And that’s true as well. Joey’s lifting journey started when he was in college and the kind of muscle gains that he derived afterward pushed him further to make bodybuilding his lifestyle.
Joey has a physique that exudes a great deal of muscularity and aesthetics. His chest tapes at around 50 inches and tapers down to his narrow waist of 30 inches giving his upper body the phenomenal ‘V-shape’ appearance.
Joey Swoll’s workout routine includes plenty of exercises for each of the muscle groups. It incorporates the use of barbells, dumbbells, cables, machines, and even his body weight. He follows a high-volume training approach and takes as little rest as possible in between his working sets.
Joey trains 6 days a week. Each of his training sessions is about 1-1½ hours long.
Now let’s find out what all exercises Joey resorts to build his aesthetic physique that exudes perfection in every sense:-
- Incline bench press- 5 sets of 8-12 reps
- Chest press machine- 5 sets of 10-15 reps
- Incline dumbbell flyes- 5 sets of 12-15 reps
- Cable crossovers- 5 sets of 12-15 reps
- Pec deck machine- 5 sets of 10-12 reps
- Wide-grip lat pulldowns- 5 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated cable rows- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Straight-arm rope pulldowns- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Single-arm machine rows- 5 sets of 12-15 reps
- Machine low rows- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Smith machine squats- 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Leg extensions- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Seated leg curls- 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Leg press- 5 sets of 8-15 reps
- Romanian deadlifts- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Seated calf raises- 5 sets of 15-20 reps
- Behind the neck barbell overhead press- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Dumbbell overhead press- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Lateral raises- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Front raises with chains- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Bent-over reverse dumbbell flys- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- EZ-bar preacher curls- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- Overhead dumbbell triceps extensions- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell curls- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- Tricep pushdowns- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Rope hammer curls- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Bench dips- 3 sets of AMRAP
- Single-arm tricep extensions- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
Each of Joey’s training sessions starts with a decent warm-up routine and ends with a cool-down routine which primarily includes stretching.
Talking about Joey’s cardio routine, it doesn’t involve high-intensity exercises. Being a hard gainer, he doesn’t feel the need to rely on HIIT as his body doesn’t put on excess amounts of fat.
Hence, Joey’s cardio routine comprises low-intensity exercises that he performs on the treadmill post his lifting sessions.
Staying away from ‘overtraining’
Being a hardcore fitness freak, Joey simply loves his workout sessions. No matter how he is feeling and what his mental state is, he ensures to train his butt off.
But at the same time, Joey has also been cautious about not overtraining his body. His training sessions are supposed to be stimulating and certainly not annihilating. And this is because Joey is well-aware of the fact that recovery is as important as training. Hence, subjecting the muscles to overtraining would always be counterproductive.
Joey Swoll’s Diet Plan
Apart from following an intense training program, Joey also relies on a well-structured diet plan to fetch his body all the essential nutrients. To gain the most out of his training sessions, Joey also has to feed his body in a manner that it recovers well from them.
Joey Swoll’s diet plan has high amounts of proteins and fats and a moderate amount of carbs. It consists of numerous food items such as fresh fruits and veggies, eggs, chicken, oatmeal, white rice, steak, cereals, etc.
Post his training sessions, Joey prefers to have something that has high glycemic. Talking about his fat intake, it comes only from good sources of fats such as olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, and almond butter.
Joey Swoll’s meal plan consists of 6 heavy meals. Let’s find out what all food items are included in each of them:-
- 2 cups egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 scoops of whey protein
- 5 oz grilled chicken
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 scoops of whey protein
- Grilled vegetables
- White rice
- Burrito bowl with steak
- Avocado with hot sauce
- 1 scoop casein protein
- Bowl of cereal
To keep his body adequately hydrated, Joey drinks plenty of water and energy drinks throughout the day. Doing so also helps him to stay energetic and refreshed.
Joey sticks to his clean and nutritious diet plan almost all the time. But once in a while, he likes to satisfy his taste buds by having cheat meals. He prefers feasting on pizzas, waffles, burgers, and pancakes on his cheat days.
Joey Swoll’s Supplements
To build and maintain his perfectly-developed body, Joey has to ensure that his nutrition plan is perfect as well. For that reason, he has to incorporate certain supplements into it. Doing so ensures that his diet plan isn’t lacking any vital nutrients.
Joey Swoll’s supplements stack consists of the following:-
- Fat burner
- Testosterone booster
The above-mentioned supplements respectively contribute towards improving training performance, making up for nutritional deficiencies, keeping one’s overall body fat percentage low, supporting muscle building, keeping the gut healthy, and facilitating muscle anabolism.
The Bottom Line
Joey Swoll‘s muscular and aesthetic physique can easily motivate anyone to hit the gym. And if you are one of those this post will guide you pretty well in your lifting journey.
Just don’t make the mistake of overtraining yourself. Start slow and work your way up. That would help in getting you the results that you are aspiring for. Also, take good care of your nutrition and feed your body as per its requirements. We can assure you that paying attention to your training program and diet plan will surely fetch you greater gains.