Are you planning to lose weight but confused about how to introduce varieties in your diet?
If yes, this article will introduce you to a power-packed veggie called broccoli.
Broccoli is a low-calorie, low-fat vegetable that supports weight loss incredibly. This power-packed vegetable contains fiber and other essential nutrients that keep you full for a long time. In addition, broccoli contains phytochemicals known to break down body fat potentially.
Notably, broccoli is rich in vitamins and minerals and contains more vitamin C than oranges with zero fat. The nutritional benefits of this vegetable are based on how you consume it. For your information, the water-soluble vitamins and other compounds may be lost while you boil this veggie.
Confused about how to consume broccoli and want to know more about this vegetable. Keep reading to stay informed about how much broccoli you should eat in a day and the best way to consume it.
Is Broccoli Good for Weight Loss?
Absolutely yes, broccoli has a prominent place in the most recommended weight loss diet.
Good health is always associated with maintaining body weight, and a lot of people find it extremely hard to lose and maintain weight at an ideal number.
An active lifestyle and a nutritious diet are the two most substantial components in shedding those extra kilos. Adding certain foods to your diet, like broccoli, can make your weight loss journey easy and tasteful.
Broccoli has umpteen nutritional benefits, as it contains vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and phytonutrients that cut down body fat and strengthen your immune system.
Including broccoli in your diet keeps you full for a long time, preventing unnecessary snacking between meals. As a result, broccoli makes your weightloss journey effective.
Why is Broccoli Good for Weight Loss?
Broccoli is good for weight loss because of its nutritional benefits and ability to curb hunger for longer intervals.
Broccoli belongs to the cruciferous vegetable family. Other veggie members of this family include cabbage, bok choy, and cauliflower. As per USDA, the primary nutrients found per 100 grams of broccoli are as follows;
Let us now understand in detail why broccoli is good for weight loss:-
- Broccoli is a power-packed vegetable rich in antioxidants that help boost the immune system and protect against free radicals. In addition, these antioxidants help support intestinal health and protect your body against several diseases. Broccoli is low in carbs and it is one of the most highly recommended for dietary fibers.
- A bowl of cooked broccoli includes 50-65 calories per serving or around 39 calories per 100 grams. This makes broccoli a low-calorie food that helps reduce weight.
- This weight-loss vegetable contains plenty of dietary fibers, constituting 3.3 grams per 100 grams. Dietary fiber helps absorb the water content of the food, keeping your stomach full for longer. As a result of reduced appetite, you can easily avoid mid-meal snacking, which helps control weight gain.
- This green veggie is rich in vitamins A, C, and E, proteins, and other essential components necessary for a healthy diet. Vitamin C helps boost immunity, burn fat, and promote healthier hair and skin.
- Broccoli contains vitamin K, which is beneficial for fat metabolism and glucose. As a result, it also helps burn belly fat.
- Broccoli contains a natural plant compound called carotenoids that help speed up fat burning and reduce weight.
- According to research, broccoli contains compounds like ethanol and chloroform, which are known to have anti-obesity effects. As a result, broccoli can largely help lose weight and maintain the same for better health.
How to Eat Broccoli for Weight Loss?
The way you consume your broccoli largely affects its nutritional content. Broccoli is usually consumed steamed, boiled, microwaved, stir-fried, and air fried. However, research indicates that boiling broccoli makes the vegetable lose a considerable amount of flavonoids.
Flavonoids do not just provide the usual flavor; instead, they are phytonutrients that deliver numerous health benefits, including reducing risks of chronic diseases like cardiovascular disease or cancer.
According to a research, the best way to eat broccoli for weight loss is:-
- Steamed broccoli
- Microwaved broccoli
Steaming and microwaving is the best cooking method that helps preserve the nutritional benefits of the veggie.
How much Broccoli Should I Eat Per Day to Lose Weight?
According to the USDA, one cup of chopped broccoli or around ten broccoli florets is the ideal serving size to provide the necessary benefits to lose weight.
This serving size will provide around 2 grams of protein and 6 grams of carbohydrates (carbohydrates coming from fiber), making it all the more beneficial.
Is Broccoli Good for Losing Belly Fat?
Yes, broccoli has amazing weight loss benefits, and it is great to lose abdominal fat.
Broccoli is a deep-colored vegetable that contains calcium, which has shown a tremendous increase in fat loss, especially in the abdominal area.
The other benefits of broccoli that associate this vegetable with the reduction of belly fat are;
Prevention of constipation
One cup (91 grams) of raw broccoli contains 2.5 grams of fiber, which prevents constipation. Fiber improves the digestive system and softens the stools, making it easier to regulate bowel movements.
Broccoli also affects the gut microbiota positively, supporting gut health. As a result, it makes your belly look flat.
Improves liver health
Broccoli contains powerful plant compounds that are good for the liver. It protects your liver protects against fatty liver conditions and liver cancer.
Prevention of fatty liver controls belly fat.
Is Steamed Broccoli Good for Weight Loss?
Yes, steamed broccoli is incredibly good for weight loss.
Consuming broccoli to lose weight is a good choice, especially in its steamed form.
Research shows steamed broccoli retains its nutritional benefits even after its cooked. It is a rich source of fiber that keeps you full for longer and promotes overeating.
Consuming broccoli, especially in its steamed or microwaved form, is a great way to lose weight. It supports your health goals in many ways. This superfood contains multiple vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that boost your heart health, improve eyesight, decrease inflammation, prevent cancer, and help decrease cholesterol.
Broccoli is a low-calorie vegetable having multiple nutritional benefits to help you lose weight.