Workout leggings are a game-changer in the activewear industry. Not only do they provide a range of functional benefits, but they are also comfortable and fashionable to a point where traditional workout pants just can’t keep up.
If you get the fit right, you can enjoy maximum flexibility and freedom of movement while performing exercises. Most of them also have moisture-wicking properties to keep you dry and cool during strenuous workouts.
If you don’t have a pair of leggings that fit you perfectly, you will certainly be missing out on a lot.
That is the ultimate struggle a lot of women have to deal with – they simply can’t find a good pair of athletic leggings that feel comfortable on their bodies!
But don’t worry; we’ve come up with the perfect guide to tell you everything you need to know about getting the perfect leggings fit.
How Tight Should Workout Leggings Be?
Many women end up buying gym leggings that are either too tight or too loose for them. The mistake is common because not everyone knows how the ideal pair of workout leggings should feel.
Fortunately, there are some general rules of thumb that you can try to ensure that your leggings or yoga pants provide the perfect balance of comfort and physical performance.
Here’s how you can determine if your leggings fit your body the way they are supposed to:-
- If your leggings have seams, make sure that they don’t leave any marks on your skin. If they do, it’s a clear sign that they are too tight for you.
- If your leggings slip down often when you’re exercising, walking, or standing, you need to purchase smaller-size leggings.
- If you get a muffin top on your belly (just above the waistband), it’s an indication that your leggings are too tight, and you need to get a bigger-size pair.
- Perform a couple of squats down to the ground. If you can see your underwear at any point, the leggings are too small for you.
- If you can see your skin through the leggings, the pair might be a little too tight for you. However, this could also be if the fabric of the product is transparent or low quality.
- Your leggings should not be baggy like traditional pants. They should snuggle your legs, knees, and waist comfortably.
- You should not see any extra bulges while wearing the leggings. They should fit your body and waist comfortably and support your body freely while exercising.
- You should be able to slide your legs into the leggings comfortably without struggling to put them on. The same is the case with your waist unless you have a slightly bigger butt, in which case some amount of struggle is acceptable as long as the pair feels comfortable once you have worn them.
- Your leggings should provide compression and support to your muscles without causing chafing or restricting your movement.
The perfect pair of workout leggings should strike an even balance between comfort and support. It should be able to enhance your performance while making you feel confident about how you look.
How Do You Know If Leggings Fit Right?
Your gym leggings should fit your body like a glove. While athletic leggings appear to be tight on the surface, they should actually feel very comfortable and maximise your range of motion while exercising.
So, how do you know if you have found the perfect fit?
They Should Feel Like a Second Skin
When you find the perfect pair of gym leggings for yourself, they’ll feel just like an extra layer of skin on your body. For this to happen, you should get the perfect fit – the fabric should hug your butt, knees, and legs without being too tight.
Moreover, there should be no sagging or folds of any sort. The feel of the fabric should be free-flowing – the leggings should stretch and move with your body, giving you a full range of motion during various physical activities.
With the perfect pair of athletic leggings, you should not need to readjust them every once in a while to make sure they remain in place. Instead, it should maintain its position from the start till the end on its own.
If there is any excess fabric, chafing, or sheering while wearing them, they are not the right fit for you.
The Waistband Should Be Comfortable
While wearing a pair of workout leggings, pay close attention to how the waistband feels and looks.
Ideally, it should be sitting comfortably on your waist. It should not be moving, rolling, slipping down, or digging into your skin when you are exercising, running, or walking. If it is, then you probably don’t have the right fit.
Consider getting a wide waistband for your leggings, as it can provide additional support to your body while preventing slippage.
Your Leggings Should Be Squat-Proof
If you have the perfect pair of leggings as per your size, they’ll be able to get you the squat-proof look. In other words, they will not reveal your underwear or skin when you stretch your leggings too far out.
One way to determine if your leggings are squat-proof is to perform a couple of ass-to-grass squats while wearing them. If you feel that your skin or underwear is being exposed at any point during the movement, the leggings might be too tight or loose for you.
Your Leggings Should Not Feel Restrictive
The perfect pair of athletic leggings should be able to enhance your physical performance. They should support your range of motion and allow you to make basic and complicated movements like squats, lunges, or stretches without any issues.
In other words, the ideal pair of leggings should be able to give you a full range of motion without feeling restrictive or causing discomfort.
Your Leggings Should Be Breathable and Moisture-Wicking
While workout leggings may appear to be externally tight, they should be breathable enough to make you feel comfortable throughout the duration of your workout session. There should be sufficient air circulation and no overheating.
To ensure that you get maximum performance enhancements, try getting fabrics with moisture-wicking properties to draw sweat away from your skin and keep your body dry and comfortable while exercising.
Your Leggings Should Maintain Their Opacity
If your leggings lose their opacity and become see-through or transparent during complicated movements, they might be too tight for you.
This happens when your leggings are stretched past their natural elasticity, they become sheer and are unable to retain their shapes after a while. This is because the spandex of your leggings might get eroded when it is stretched too much or if it is too tight.
If you have the right fit, the leggings should be able to maintain their opacity and allow you to exercise confidently.
Your Leggings Should Make You Feel Confident and Comfortable
There is no magic mantra to choosing the perfect pair of gym leggings for yourself. In fact, many people feel that you should not even stick to a single size.
Keep trying different yoga pants or leggings, regardless of what the label says about their sizes. The one that feels perfect and makes you appear more confident should be the ideal one for you.
Signs Your Leggings Are Too Small
If your leggings are too small, you will not be able to enjoy the many functional benefits associated with athletic pants.
Here are some indications that your leggings are too small and you need to move to a bigger size:-
- If you struggle while putting on your leggings and need to jerk and wiggle them all the way up, it’s a clear sign that they are too tight for you.
- If the leggings are poking or digging into your waist forcefully, they are too tight for you.
- If your leggings lose their opacity when stretched, then they are not the right fit for you.
- If there are visible stretch lines on the fabric, it indicates that the leggings are too tight and are stretched beyond their maximum elasticity.
- If the leggings create unflattering bulges or indentations on your skin, particularly around the waist, hips, or thighs, they are too small for you.
Signs Your Leggings Are Too Big
If your leggings are too big, you will not be able to work out comfortably. Moreover, athletic pants aren’t supposed to be big, so they will look unflattering and not aesthetically pleasing at all.
Here are some indications that your leggings are too big and you need to move to a smaller size:
- If your leggings slide down your waist without a hitch, they might be a tad too big for you.
- Leggings should be skin-tight. If you see any balloon-like inflations in your legs and thighs, they are too big.
- If you don’t feel compression or support while wearing a pair of workout leggings, they are too big for you.
- If your leggings require frequent readjustments to make them stay in one place, you should go down a size or two.
- If there is any kind of sagging around the knees or crotch, the leggings are too big and loose for you.
What to Look for in Workout Leggings?
Leggings can provide you with a range of functional benefits. But to enjoy wearing them, you need to find the perfect pair for yourself.
And that goes beyond finding the right size, fit, and look – you’ll have to consider a lot of other factors.
Here are some important considerations while searching for your ideal workout leggings:-
Make sure that you only get leggings made from high-end, moisture-wicking fabrics like nylon, polyester, or a blend with spandex.
Not only will these high-quality fabrics retain their opacity during complicated movements, they will also make the wearer feel cool and dry by wicking away excess sweat.
Fit and Feel
Your leggings should be form-fitting. They should hug your knees, waist, hips, and calves rigidly but not too tightly. You should not feel restricted in your range of motion at all, especially during stretches or while performing yoga.
You should avoid getting leggings with excess fabric that will likely bunch around in areas like the knees, crotch, and so on.
The leggings should feel comfortable and lightweight as well. Make sure that the waistband is not digging into your skin or causing discomfort. Consider factors like the design of the waistband, leg length, and overall feel against your body to make the right decision.
Workout leggings are not just supposed to look good. You should also be able to see some performance enhancements.
- Running/Cardio: For high-impact workouts, consider purchasing durable leggings with high sweat-wicking properties. If you’re into cardio, athletic leggings with lower waistlines will ensure that you breathe properly and remain comfortable.
- Stretching: If your leggings do not have a high natural elasticity, they will lose their shape and opacity over time if it is stretched beyond a certain extent. So, if you’re into yoga, pilates, or stretching, consider getting extra stretchy leggings. Fabrics like cotton and bamboo might give you some benefits in this regard. Also, avoid wearing leggings with zippers or drawstrings.
- Weightlifting: You should also be able to feel comfortable in your workout leggings. They should not restrict your range of motion. For this, consider getting leggings with a drawstring waist as they are the best for weightlifting exercises like lunges and lifts.
It’s always good to invest heavily in a single pair of leggings that will last you a long time than purchase some low-quality products for temporary respite.
Leggings from premium brands might be too expensive. But they are also highly durable.
Make sure that your leggings are durable so that they retain their shape, opacity, and elasticity over time.
Compression and Support
If you are into workouts and exercising, consider getting compression leggings. They can improve your blood circulation, provide support to your muscles, and enhance your physical performance.
A little extra support from your leggings can go a long way in determining the quality of your workouts.
The perfect pair of workout leggings can improve your confidence, the quality of your workouts, and your overall appearance at the gym.
But to enjoy these benefits, you should make sure to purchase leggings that fit your body perfectly. We hope that the information provided in this article will help you make the right decision.